Ever walk into your closet and feel like you don’t have anything to wear? Whether everything is looking blah, all your black is screaming “not today!” or you’re feeling a little frumpy, many of us are guilty of this (and our husbands don’t make us feel any better about it, either!). I’m here to help with five simple little things you can do (today) to change up your look.
Disclaimer: Some of the links on this page are affiliate links, and at no extra cost to you, I may receive a small commission if you make a purchase after clicking through. I only recommend products I personally love.
Here are 5 simple things you can do to change up your look, no matter what your personal style is:
1. Makeup is a girl’s best friend… Whether you want to add an unexpected smokey eye to your casual Friday look, coordinate your makeup to your outfit or add a pop of color with your lipstick, I believe this can make a huge different in our look, and how we feel! I have a big collection of hot pinks, reds and even a purple lipstick that helps me tie-up a boring outfit. In fact, when I wear white, my favorite color is this Kat-Von-D lippie!
2. Color is the new black… Look at your closet….what do you see? Now go pick up some pieces in colors you don’t own. I’m not saying to wear something that doesn’t fit your skin tone, but try to think outside of the box with your wardrobe. I try to wear all colors, but in different ways. One of my favorite black tops is sheer with a bunch of pink birds on it…I’ll change it up with different color Camis to give it a different look every time.
3. Step out of your comfort zone with your shoes… I have to admit, this is something I need to be better at. I mean, I do have nearly 200 pairs of shoes! It is easy for me to experiment with my heels and booties. I love adding color, it all started in high school when I wore sparkly silver platforms to a black & white ball. Or more recently when I wore hot pink wedges with my white wedding dress! But where this is a challenge for me, funny enough, is adding stylish kicks with my leggings. This is something I want to do so bad, yet always feel like “it’s not my look.” I’m totally going to do it this year. You can too!
4. Invest in versatile tops… This is one of my favorite tops, and I can wear it as a faux-wrap (with unexpected details in the front) or as a scoop neck (which styles more like a tunic and an open back). The sparkle gives it an additional surprise. I always get compliments on it!
5. Grab a girlfriend (or an honest personal stylist!) and shop till you drop… Even if just window shopping, get out there an experiment! Try different colors, textures, styles – especially those you wouldn’t normally try. Having a girlfriend with you will help to figure out what truly flatters (or frumps) so you can pull things together from your own closet. It’s like seeing clothes with new eyes, even if you already have pieces at home.
When I have “one of those days,” I find it can be simple things that can really change up my look. And make me feel so much better! Let me know if you try one of these ideas, I’d love to hear how it worked for you!