This post was updated in April 2018.
I discovered a few years ago what I always pretty much knew – gifts are my love language. The good thing is it is not just receiving (although I love that too!). I love to give – I find true joy in finding a thoughtful, perfect gift for those I love. So it was a super easy decision to give my husband 40 gifts for his big milestone of turning 40!
While gifts are not really important to Mi Amor, I think he truly appreciated the fun of opening all the gifts, plus many were practical or things he loves. There was no way I could do 40 expensive gifts, so it was a big mix! I gave him the choice of when to open the gifts, and he settled on 10 every day we were on our getaway in San Antonio (we were there 4 days!).
Disclaimer: Some of the links on this page are affiliate links, and at no extra cost to you, I may receive a small commission. I only recommend products that I personally love.
To help inspire anyone else who may want to do a lot of gifts, I thought I would share what I gave him. There was no order behind my strategy, but I tried to include a lot of random stuff he loves.
Here you have it: 40 gifts for his 40th birthday!
- 12-pack of Dos Equis with Michelada mix
- Billboard Top Hits: 1977
- Keurig reusable coffee filter
- Cassette tape sticky notes
- Silicon popcorn maker
- Harry’s men’s shave gel
- A box with 40 dark chocolate Hershey’s kisses and a tag that reads “40 kisses for my love”
- Anchor crew socks
- iFocus productivity planner
- Leaf liner socks (similar)
- Party in a box (birthday boy badge, birthday plates, cups, party hats, blowers)
- Papa Smurf Pez dispenser
- Puma boxer briefs
- SWAGO on-the-go cologne wipes
- Local beef jerkey
- Artwork with Jeremiah 29:11
- 40 memories written on 40 heart-shaped cards and envelopes (I picked mine up on Clearance at Michael’s, but these are super cute too!)
- Trail Mix
- Grillin’ & Chillin’ outdoor sign (similar)
- KONOV men’s cross prayer bracelet
- Shutterfly photo cube
- Organic basic tee (similar)
- Star Wars pen (Got mine at a local shop but found this cool version on Amazon)
- Mini bottle of champagne
- DIY painting by our toddler
- Starbucks GC
- Cuisinart BBQ thermometers set
- Old Navy Oxford shirt
- Whataburger vintage cap
- Birthday card with lotto tickets and a hand written letter
- Pack of gum
- Whataburger gift card
- Then, 7 individually wrapped items from the Amazon Men’s grooming sample box (which made 40 gifts!)
Needless to say, it sure made for a fun surprise! The rest of our trip was amazing – totally relaxing! We didn’t make any official plans, other than eating some good food, so we were able to spend a lot of time in our room just laying in bed. It’s a luxury we remember all too well pre-baby!
Related: 7 thoughtful gifts to get a new mom
I’ll also add that our stay was incredible, and I recommend the Drury Plaza to anyone staying in San Antonio. We were able to walk everywhere, it was clean and the amenities were fantastic. In addition to free breakfast (which we only made once) they host a “kick-back” where every guest is given up to 3 free alcoholic drinks, unlimited snacks, soda and coffee. It was our best hour spent daily!
The hotel also had an indoor pool with a nearby balcony facing the San Fernando Cathedral, as well as an outdoor pool and jacuzzis on the 23rd floor. That was the best way to soak after a long day, and we took full advantage on day 1!
Related: Innside the High Cotton Inn
Have you ever done any creative gift giving? Let me know in the comments!